BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 18, 2009

My "Dark Past".....

I have mentioned this several times, and have been thinking about it a lot lately. To be honest, I have agonised over writing this out, as there are very few people who know the full truth. For the longest time I wanted and fought to keep it that way. I am not writing this to sound dangerous, cool or mean, like I said in an earlier post..., I will never lie to you.

You see, when I was younger, after I had just gotten out of the army, I was at a loss. The career, that I thought would take me to retirement, was stripped from me in a cruel twist of fate. I was quite angry at the time, and somewhat rebellious. As a consequence, I turned to drugs as a coping mechanism. Through a series of events, I became quite hooked, and moved on to some of the nastier stuff. I was only there for about a year, before my friends came to the rescue once more. I managed to keep that really quiet though, even my family knows nothing about that period of my life.

Towards the end of my dabbling with drugs, I amassed a moderate debt with some not very nice people. At the time I had little money, due to my habit, this turned out to be my downfall. My flat was visited by a very nasty fella, who threatened bodily harm if I did not pay. Problem was, it wasn't me who he threatened, it was my partner at the time. I do not take kindly to these kind of events, and dealt with it the only way I knew how, with violence.

I went to see my dealer, and calmly suggested that if that fella made any attempt to go through with his threats, that he would be wearing his balls as earrings as soon as I caught up with him. A little taken aback by this, he instead made me an offer, in order to pay off my debt. I was pretty much forced into doing things that I am not too proud of. Mostly debt collection, but there was some more "Legally Ambiguous" things in there as well. Think Chili Palmer, with a baseball bat.



Now debt collection, may not seem so bad to some people. But let me tell you, when it is for those that operate outside the law, there are few regulations to uphold. Lawful enterprise doesn't feature much here either. You see what would happen is this...., I would get a phone call (I was given a phone by my "Employers"), the conversation would be simply, a name, an address, and an amount. I would then pay a visit to said address. Most of the time things went peacefully, with a subtle chat, just like in the movies. Other times, well not so much, and then there were times that I would have to resort to things that were not pleasant.
I am sure I do not need to spell these things out to you.

Obviously the police never got involved. It is somewhat difficult to explain to cop that you were assaulted because you owed your dealer a lot of money. Like I said I am not proud of it. I paid my debt off quickly this way, and once clean and clear, I started to get paid for it. What can I tell you the money was very good. But I never really had the taste for it, and after only a few jobs I left. This was when I decided, to go to Uni. Let me tell you being a student does not pay well, so when that phone rang, I am sorry to say I answered it.

I am not a criminal, though I have skirted that knife edge on several occasions. I am no gangster either, I preferred to think of myself as a freelancer. Like I said, I am not proud of it. To be honest I don't like violence all that much, especially in this situation! Fear not though I have certainly turned my life around. So much so that a few years back I moved cities to get away from it.

I don't ever want to be that person again, I am to good for that.

14 Tactical Suggestions...:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely hate violence in all its forms. But I've met men who've done worse things than you, friend.

It's a hard thing to do tell of such stuff.

y78ilm said...

It's a tough and cruel world my friend, and it's so damn easy to fall and get dragged under... one way or another.

Thanks for sharing.

Love
D

Anonymous said...

Good for you Octavius. Glad you took control of your life, rather than it controlling you.

Anonymous said...

My comment would be along the lines of Daves. I think there would not to many people out there that at some time in their lives haven't done something they are not proud of - hell we are only human.You put it behind you- good. Can't turn the clock back, so life goes on.
Kindest regards Stef.

Staff said...

Oh, the times when I was on drugs, it ruins you, kills you, been clean for 3 years myself, I did shit I never thought I would have done in that time frame.... I shall share stories about it on my blog some time...

Dwight

Just said...

Don't look back , because you will run into things in front. I am glad you got out of that life. I am a former drug abuser my self. So I understand what you had to do . I don't hold it against you , in fact I respect you for going forward... Just keep it up !

Dzyan said...

Hey big guy, I'm proud of you, it's easy to fall, but hard to get up again. I know student life doesn't pay but we all go through that. Still, what's life without a little of dark background, makes things a little more interesting and they teach us a lot.
You're still a scary guy, would never want to make you angry, so smile :) we'll never let you fall again.
Love
me

Octavius said...

Thanks for the comments of support guys. I really appreciate it. This was probably the lowest point of my life, but as you say I got through it.

I have been sober for several years now, and have never looked back.

@Fer, you have nothing to fear from me, my friend.

Octavius.

Aaron said...

Courage and Honour as someone always tell me. :)

The beauty about life is we cant change our past but we can change our present and future and you certainly did that! Your past wouldn't dictate your future that's for sure, but a good guidance as you head into the future.

Anonymous said...

thanks for that - I don't think it changes my opinion one way or another frankly - but it adds light and dimension to what I already know of you - and I think that's a good thing

Mr. Urs said...

Not that I would condone what you did but we can't all be nice fellows all the time. The good ones would just not shine as bright.

Your student job was far more exotic than mine, but I don't know if working for the stock exchange, like I did, was not morally more questionable.

However, I'm glad you pulled through this and found other means to support yourself.

David said...

As has been said, most (if not all) of us have things in our past we're not proud of, but, we put them behind us, learn from it, and move on. When I look back on my life, and where I am now, I have to ask: would I be where I am had I not gone through everything else? I don't believe I would...so, I wouldn't change a thing.

Seth said...

I'm proud of you for having the strength to get through that. You went the next step in one direction of the downward spiral, but you pulled yourself back and managed to change your life for the better.

Thanks for always saying it, but you too.... courage and honor!


:)

cvn70 said...

Octavius

man all of our past are full of things we dontwant to relive. Im glad you went to school and changed your life that is te important thing

take care and be safe

bob