... Oh my!
I just had the coolest experience!
First some background, my good friend is a mobile guard. Which means that he drives around in a security 4wd, and does spot checks and lock ups. Well one of the places that is on his list, is the zoo. Now I have never in my 30 yrs been to a zoo. So he asked if I wanted to tag along..., ah, yeah!!
So in the pitch black, we head to the zoo. He first takes me to see the lions. Well I can tell you there was not much going on up top, so we go done to into the observation thingy. As we go down, the last step, my mate turns on the torch, adn all we see is a blur of claws, paws and teeth against the window..., guess we woke her up, and my was she cranky!! Scared the living shit out of me, I don't mind tellin ya!! Good thing the glass was well thick..., otherwise I would be lightly browned bread!!
I can tell you know, for those that have not been up close and personal with a "Big Cat", Tv, movies, and pictures, just do not give credit to how big they really are. Awesome and scary. The two girls that went for us..., well, if it wasn't for that glass!
Then we go and see this little guy, the red panda..., he was so cute..., and very excited, as he keep rubbing his bits on everything!
Then there was one of these. I didn't actually get to see him, but I could here him. I think he was stalking us!
I pulled these pics off google, as I completely forgot my camera. Am super kicking myself for that!




4 Tactical Suggestions...:
I've always felt uncomfy visiting zoo's. Caged animals taken out of their normal habitats kinda brings me down... but I guess your nightly experience must have been something extra. Cool!
To a point I agree, but sometimes a Zoo can be beneficial. For example, in a Zoo an animal is safe from hunters/poachers, and well fed.
My early morning excursion has really showed me that.
Octavius.
Would have been VERY cool visiting a zoo during non-visitor hours, especially at night!
Zoo's are so important, especialy to most of the endangered species. They have come a long way and the newer enclosers are designed as close to the animals habitat as possible. Care given now is 2nd to none. I was a frequent visitor when I was younger, and visited as many as I could when I traveled overseas, it was fascinating. It would be great if they could live free but our intrusion on their habitats makes that very hard, but a lot of countries now have great breeding programs which is important for the future. Octavius you were very lucky to see the lions at such close quarters and they are truly magnificent creatures. Not many people are lucky enough to see these and other great animals if not for zoo's.
Hugs Stef.
Post a Comment